Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Baking Bread


I hate to admit this, but I just read (listened to) another Michael Pollan book. Cooked is about four different ways of cooking. One chapter was all about bread. So of course, I had to "get into bread" for a while. I've also "gotten back into fermentation" right now. We'll see how long these things last, but anyways, I've been cultivating this sourdough starter, and we're baking another loaf. They like to help and Evangeline likes to look for the yeast working. This is much more satisfying than brewing, because the yeast works right away, and you get to eat it the next day, rather than stare at it in a glass jar for a month first. They're actually really good at stirring new flour into the starter.

2 comments:

  1. I love the IDEA of sourdough, but don't think it would work well at our house due to elevation and lack of humidity. Oh, plus I'm lazy. Looks like fun AND... this is a really nicely composed picture. The vivid colors in front, the patterns and glassware in the back... neato. Of course, you also have the cutest helpers that are or ever were, so that helps. AB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. We will have to make sourdough pancakes together this summer. We have sourdough that "came up the Iditarod trail". Of course all Alaskans like to make that claim. We do know that it is at least 25 years old, because that's at least how long we have had it in our refrigerator!
    Cute picture. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

Contributors