I'm still super excited about these bees. I opened it up again today for a two week inspection. Basically, what I am doing is ensuring that the combs are being built straight and not running into each other and looking for signs that the queen is still in there. I actually found her today, which was very exciting, along with a bunch of cells with brood in them. There was also a fair amount of capped honey (which is good.) Notice the different colors of pollen from the different sorts of plants they are visiting. Its quite a thrill to see them coming back from their foraging. They have a three mile radius, which puts them downtown and even out in the country. They are still building and filling up the hive, and the new bees will probably emerge in a week or so. Here you go. I know you are interested.
That is awesome. Learn everything this year and make me a list that I need for next spring...
ReplyDeleteVery cool!
ReplyDeleteVery cool!
ReplyDeleteIt IS interesting, and an important addition to your backyard farm/ the local ecosystem. Plus, honey is delicious. Rock on, bees! B
ReplyDeleteYou're right. We are interested because this is very interesting beesness!
ReplyDeleteThe different colored honey is especially intriguing. It must also taste different too.
Wow. This is way fun to watch.
Love from Alaska