Friday, April 27, 2012

Our Little Demense

Evangeline helped me hoe some rows today. We planted swiss chard. She carried a furry zebra purse the whole time, which definitely helped.

You can see how hard we are working. We went out for dinner after this, and also went to our new Whole Foods to pick up an i c e  c r e a m treat for Evangeline, because she was so good all day. Whole Foods is interesting, because all these "hip" people just came out of nowhere and shop and work there. Seriously, I didn't know that Greensboro had all these sorts of people with plugs and tattoos. But we do. When we got back, the new chicken was out and about, apparently able to leap over the enclosure. She, with the help of the Amaraucana, nicely leveled our rows, and probably plucked out all the seeds we had planted earlier in the day. This is what I get for trying to improve our lousy clay soil.

She heard that there was some new law against kids performing manual labor on farms, and so decided to take a break in case the cops happened to drive by.
 In other news. We drove out to the sticks get a new chicken the other day. I thought we were going to get a Maran, but someone had bought them all about 5 minutes before I got there. So, we bought this Light Sussex. She sort of looks like Annie. The Sussex is an ancient breed, known to the Romans, which is what attracted me to the breed. She is nice and is currently the subject of much pecking.

Ancient breeds still just look like chickens.

2 comments:

  1. I know I like to hoe around with my fuzzy zebra purse.... wait. That's not as bad as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you had your purse handy Evangeline, just in case an officer needed to see your ID.
    Nice looking chicken you chose. I think that breed is my new favorite.
    Keep up the great gardening.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

Contributors