If you have spoken to me very much in the last two years, you will know that I have been mildly obsessed with chickens. I am pleased to inform all who have been subject to my boring discussions, that we have an egg. I repeat, we finally have an egg. Today, at 3:32pm, a partridge rock hen laid a large, light brown egg in a nest box. It was exactly as it has been said to be in the books. I must admit, I did not think this was actually possible. But here it is. A genuine 1st article gift. Worms, slugs, grass, and grain go in, and this comes out.
There are so many people whose influence I should acknowledge for this remarkable achievement. Obviously I need to thank Concordia Seminary and the Commission on Theology and Church Relations of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod for making me think that raising chickens is a good Christian thing to do. Also, Pam Mietzner is at fault in the laying of this egg, as she gave me the Encyclopedia of Country Living for Christmas in 2008, as well as Q for making me read something in the Omnivore's Dilemma a few years back. After this, I was into goats for a while, but Fr. HR Curtis mentioned that chickens are easier. It was then at Rob and Q's that I first set my eyes upon the magnificent creatures that we know as gallus gallus domesticus.
Now we just have to figure out what to do with it.

It's beautiful. It's perfect.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to the layees, the layer, the eaters, and to papa Kyle.
Love, Grandma and Grandpop
..and thank you (all) for answering the question. Chicken came first.
ReplyDelete