Friday, January 20, 2012

The Doctor

Today Evangeline went to the doctor for her 2-year check-up. We talked about it a bit beforehand, and even practiced the part where the doctor wants to look in her mouth. She seemed ok with it all, like it would be a breeze.
I stayed in the exam room to take care of Irene and Kyle went with the nurse and Evangeline to do the simple weigh-n-measure.
So, if I had been another mom  in that office, hearing this girl scream, I would have felt bad, like "poor child has to have some terrible yet simple procedure (lancing a boil? a few stitches?) done". And she was just getting weighed and measured. So she screamed and screamed. Checking heart? Screaming. Looking at dry skin? Screaming. Looking at from across the room? Screaming. Poor, nice nurse.
Then she had to have her blood taken. Surprisingly, more interest in procedure, less screaming(?).
Then the doctor came in. More screaming.
Looking in ears? Screaming. Feeling joints? Screaming. Listening to breathing? Screaming. Looking at from across room? Screaming.
Poor kid. Poor doctor.
Then the nurse came back in to give her two shots...
So anyway it was pretty terrible. Lots of screaming. Irene just sat there and looked at Evangeline like she was crazy, which she kind of was.
But the doctor said she looks great and will not see her (hopefully) until next year.
And, in between screaming sobs, Evangeline managed to say thank-you to both Nurse Rose and Dr. Thompson.
She is of average weight, a bit above average height, and a bit more above average head circumference. She also has terrific hemoglobin.
Then she sauntered out of the office in her vest and faux fur hat, commenting on everything as if we had just had a nice, newsy visit with her old pal Dr. Thompson.
Whew. Then we went out for coffee ("boppee") (Evangeline had a vanilla steamer) and had a good time.
And the doctor never even looked in her mouth.
Then later tonight Irene wouldn't stop crying until I put her in her cradle alone, turned off the light, and left the room.

The night before, "So, yeah, I have a doctor appointment. Ho-hum,
right? I mean, I'm just gonna whiz through it so I can have some
steamed milk after."
Later this evening, casually hanging out with  Irene and eating ice.
"Hey Irene, remember that time I went to the doctor?"



3 comments:

  1. Oh, my dear Evangeline. Doctors are supposed to be your friends!
    Next time it will be a breeze.
    I love you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all the drama, looks like you checked out just fine, and came out none the worse for the wear. Irene's obviously learning the ropes from your harrowing stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Showing off her lungs for Dr. Thompson! as well as her nice manners.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

Contributors